2021 Debut Edition:
After the fires are out, the smoke has cleared, the divorce is over, the widow has stopped wearing black, the sun has risen, the monsters are dead, the world is saved (or destroyed!), the storm has calmed, and the trouble is over…
…what do you do next?
Find out in the first anthology of work by the Pikes Peak Writers. From mystery to romance and science fiction—from heartfelt essays to poetry that moves the soul.
We can’t promise only happy endings. Just that moment when you pick yourself up out of the wreckage and find the strength to begin anew.
We are now accepting submissions. Please read the guidelines below prior to sending us your submission. Link follows the guidelines.
Here is everything you need to know about PPW’s Anthology.
Editors: Jamie Ferguson, J.L. Forrest, Jenny Lovett, Kathie Scrimgeour
Submission Window: January 15, 2020 to April 30, 2020
Publication Date: Estimate – Winter 2020/2021
What we want:
- Short Stories: fiction or non-fiction in story form.
- Memoir/Reflection: Realistic or speculative, contemporary, literary or commercial. It needs a strong plot, have emotional appeal, and a connection to the theme.
What we DON’T want:
- Children’s fiction (younger than YA), Fiction intended for middle grade, early readers, and younger is not a good fit for this anthology. Your story may have a young protagonist as long as the intended audience is adults or late teens.
- Translations or fan-fiction.
- Submissions should stand alone.
- Erotica, rape scenes, or gratuitous violence. Some sex, violence, and profanity is fine as long as it suits the story. It cannot feel gratuitous or be included for shock value.
- Who can enter? PPW members only. If you are not a member, please visit PPW’s membership page . Membership is free.** Editorial team cannot submit.
- Word Count:
- Short Stories: (fiction or non-fiction) 1,000 to 7,500 words
- Memoir: 500 to 2,000 words
- Reflection: No more than 2 pages
- Poetry: No more than 5 finished pages
- Format: Times New Roman, 12 pt, double spaced, 1″ margins, black text on white background. Include a header with the title and page number at the top of each page. YOUR NAME MUST NOT APPEAR ON YOUR MANUSCRIPT NOR IN THE METADATA. Submissions are read blind
- Multiple Submissions: Multiple submissions will be accepted, but only one per entry form. If more than one of your submissions is accepted into the anthology, then it is up to the editors’ discretion as to which is published.
- Simultaneous Submissions: Please, no simultaneous submissions.
- Reprints: We are looking for original, unpublished work only. Previously published work will not be accepted. This includes stories/poems/manuscripts published in any form on your personal or professional website.
What happens once your work is accepted?
You’ve been accepted? CONGRATULATIONS!! Pat yourself on the back and throw a party. After the celebrations are over there are a few things you can expect to come your way and a couple of contracts to sign.
Someone from the editorial team will be in touch with you once your piece has been accepted. Our editors will work with you on any requested edits to your submission. If the author is not open to any edits or rewrites, then it will be up to the discretion of the editorial team if the piece is kept in the publication.
You will need to sign two contracts. One is with PPW and the other with the distribution service used by the anthology.
Did you say royalties? Yes. Each author published in the anthology will receive a royalty. The exact amount will be stated clearly in your contract.
With a royalty comes a responsibility for each accepted author. Because the marketing budget is on a shoestring each author published in the anthology is expected to participate in helping to promote it. This includes, but is not limited to, promo on all social media outlets, information on author pages (GoodReads, Amazon, etc), along with websites and newsletters. The longer and harder each author promos this anthology, the higher the sales.
Are you ready to submit? Just click on the link and sign in with your Submittable account. Remember, your submission must be anonymous so do not have your name on your document nor in the metadata. We look forward to reading your submission!!
We are now accepting submissions through April 30, 2020
You will be redirected to Submittable and will need to log in with your existing account information, or set up a new account.
Please select Anthology Submissions – 1-15-2020 for your submission.
Get the latest Anthology news direct to your inbox. Join the anthology newsletter today. We never spam. Your information will not be shared with any third parties. Click here to get the Anthology news.
**When filling out the membership form you will have to select the option that says, “I’d like to purchase a membership.” There is actually no membership fee. You will not be charged.